University of Massachusetts
IT Enterprise Architecture Plan
The University of Massachusetts Boston, also known as UMass Boston or UMB, is an urban public research university and the third-largest campus in the five-campus University of Massachusetts system.
UMB was in the beginning phase of several very large scale campus master-planning, utility corridor, and facilities relocation projects that needed to start the relocation of the campus data center. Because of the urgency of these projects, UMB required an immediate need for:
- A thorough understanding of the Information Technology Services Division (ITSD) resources in place and how they are managed and supported
- Recommendations on relocation of the data center and IT infrastructure
- Discussion of facility and campus (“holistic” or “complete picture”) architecture and topology
- Development of high-level “architectures” that can be used to ensure that IT’s requirements coordinate with the utilities redesign and can be used as design parameters for data center siting, sizing, power, and cooling requirements for day-one and beyond
UMB selected Vantage to work with their technical staff to perform an IT audit and develop a University-wide IT roadmap, also known as an IT Enterprise Architecture or ITEA.
- Worked with ITSD Leadership has better insights into University’s goals and part of the solution
- Enhanced recognition of IT’s role as a strategic partner
- Defined a clear plan for moving forward while educating the university community on integrating technology needs
- Baseline assessment development current UMB IT architecture.
- Stakeholder meetings to determine needs, wants, pent-up demands, and future directions.
- Documented current industry standards and best practices as they pertain to IT architectures in higher education, especially at peer universities.
- Defined criteria that the new ITEA must meet.
- Produced design options that will meet UMB’s requirements
- Worked with Facilities, the Master Planning Office, and other University and Commonwealth of Massachusetts departments to obtain maximum project buy-in.
- IT Infrastructure
- IT Enterprise Architecture
- Higher Education IT Strategy
- Master Plan
- Integration and Interoperability
- Assessment and Feasibility
- Client: University of Massachusetts – Boston
- Location: Boston, MA
- Project Type: Education
- Services: IT Enterprise Architecture Plan