The Leadership Lounge is a co-mentoring program for the higher ed community featuring monthly group conversations with a panel of well-known college and university CIOs. The Lounge is open to all aspiring leaders seeking input from your higher ed peers and community leaders.
Participants will discuss leadership questions and current issues in an informal setting while interacting with a small group of peers and mentors. The program relies on preparation and active engagement among participants, offering additional depth and diversity to mentoring conversations while helping you expand your network and make meaningful connections in the community.
The Mentoring Team
The mentoring team believes that current and aspiring leaders need varied opportunities to learn and grow. We know first-hand how valuable mentoring is for professional development and personal growth. We recognize and thank the CIOs on the team; they exemplify the spirit of giving back that inspired this program and make it possible.
- Jacquelyn Bailey, Minnesota State Colleges and Universities
- Brian Basgen, Emerson College
- Cathy Bates, Vantage Technology Consulting Group
- Michael Berman, Vantage Technology Consulting Group
- Steve Burrell, Northern Arizona University
- Allan Chen, California Institute of the Arts
- Kelly Doney, University of Virginia
- Dan Harder, University of Tennessee Knoxville
- Daren Hubbard, Princeton University
- Tara Hughes, California State University Maritime Academy
- Tom Jackson, North Carolina A&T State University
- Kirk Kelly, Vantage Technology Consulting Group
- Barron Koralesky, Williams College
- Leah Kraus, North Carolina Central University (retired)
- Orlando Leon, East Bay Municipal Utility District
- Jane Livingston, University of Notre Dame
- Keith McIntosh, University of Richmond
- Vijay Menta, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
- Michele Norin, Rutgers University
- Helen Norris, Chapman University
- Tej Patel, Stevens Institute of Technology
- Sharon Pitt, Virginia Tech University
- Rashmi Radhakrishnan, Arcadia University
- José Rodriguez, Pomona College
- David Seidl, Miami University
- Stan Waddell, Carnegie Mellon University
- Sherri Yerk-Zwickl, Campbell University
- Garret Yoshimi, University of Hawaiʻi
- Melissa Woo, Michigan State University (retired)
Open to All, Free of Charge
Vantage proudly supports the Leadership Lounge program, which is offered free of charge.
The program’s content and structure make it most relevant to residing and aspiring leaders in higher ed IT, including folks currently in or aspiring to leadership and management positions. Individual contributors are welcome to participate with the understanding that discussion topics focus on leadership development and frequently address subjects from an organizational or management perspective.
Registration is currently limited to participants working at an institution of higher education. Registration will also be limited to one participant per institution per cohort, with initial registrants receiving priority on a first-come, first-served basis; participants may be contacted by a program manager and asked to delay participation to a future cohort if multiple participants register from a single institution.
How It Works
Participants register for one 90-minute mentoring session per month for the program length of three months, selecting dates and times that work for their calendars. Registration is free, but limited to 10 participants and 4-5 mentors per session. Between mentoring sessions, cohort participants are encouraged to continue discussions and share resources in our Slack workspace.
All Leadership Lounge mentoring sessions are hosted virtually using the Zoom platform. Once your registration is confirmed, each participant will receive a calendar invitation with connection details. Please note: Candid conversations are valuable for those learning about leadership, so these meetings will not be recorded. Attendance and participation in registered sessions is expected; if a participant cannot attend a discussion, we ask that they notify program managers and seek to reschedule.
Expectations of Participants
The Leadership Lounge program is designed to support engagement and to build professional relationships. Demand to participate in the program remains high, and the number of spaces for participants is low to ensure that participants have the opportunity to connect with nationally recognized mentors who have committed their time. We ask that past program participants not register for the current program.
Program participants commit to:
- Attend one 90-minute discussion session once per month (as selected by participants during registration)
- Prepare for the monthly session by reviewing that month’s topic and discussion questions in advance
- Engage actively in discussion sessions
- Appreciate a diversity of voices in discussion sessions, including varied identities, experiences, and professional roles
The current cohort has filled. Join the Leadership Lounge notification list to be contacted when registration is available for the next cohort. Questions? Contact Shannon Dunn, Sarah Norwood, or Susan Featherston.
For additional mentoring opportunities that support higher ed IT professionals, see EDUCAUSE Mentoring Programs and Resources.
Vantage consultants offer comprehensive strategic technology planning and management services, with expertise in business continuity planning, disaster avoidance, and recovery planning; organizational development and transition planning; and financial modeling and assessments.