The EDUCAUSE Annual Conference in Denver starts next week. Besides the opportunity to gather and share ideas with other higher education IT professionals, you’ll also have several opportunities to network with the Vantage team at the following events:
- Pre-conference Workshop with the EDUCAUSE Communications Infrastructure and Applications Constituent Group Steering Committee
- Poster Session: IT Governance – Practical Stories of Building Engaged IT Governance
- Interactive Panel Presentation – Adventures from the Field: Managing Compliance Successfully
Pre-conference Workshop – Communications Infrastructure in a Cloudy World
On Tuesday, October 30, there is an all-day pre-conference workshop sponsored by the EDUCAUSE Communications Infrastructure and Applications Constituent Group Steering Committee. Vantage Principal Phil Crompton will be discussing the Internet of Things (IoT) with Mark Reynolds from the University of New Mexico. Vantage Principal Geoff Tritsch and Associate Vice President Jon Young will be discussing the current and future directions of key industry unified communications (UC), collaboration and video platform providers.
The full agenda for the day-long workshop includes:
- Panel discussion on the overlapping products in the UC/video/collaboration space
- An overview of Internet of Things (IoT) in healthcare and how this translates into the higher education space
- Review of the current and future directions of key industry UC/collaboration/video platform providers
- Update on current key telecommunications legislative and regulatory changes that will impact higher education
- WHAMP (What’s Happening at My Place) is an interactive session where participants can discuss current projects and issues from their institutions
The workshop will end with a vendor-funded reception for workshop participants, former ACUTA members and other interested individuals.
Poster Session: Practical Stories of Building Engaged IT Governance
On Wednesday, October 31st at 12:30pm and 4:15pm, Senior Consultant Cathy Bates will be participating in the IT Governance Poster Session. She will be joined by Debbie Carraway, Director of Information Technology, College of Sciences at North Carolina State University and Matt Morton, Executive Director & Chief Information Security Officer at University of Nebraska.
The IT Governance Poster Session will give you the opportunity to:
- Explore types of governance duties and analyze which might best fit your institution’s goals
- Understand shared governance approaches that promote engaged committees
- Apply peer-tested practices to build stronger IT governance
- Understand the kind of institutional support a successful IT governance process needs
The panel will also share examples of what works and what doesn’t work for IT governance and will provide a foundation for the principles and processes to create a vibrant governance environment.
Adventures from the Field: Managing Compliance Successfully
On Thursday, November 1 at 4:15pm, Senior Consultant Joanna Grama will be joined in a panel discussion by Michael Corn, CISO at the University of California San Diego, Kim Milford, Executive Director of REN-ISAC at Indiana University, Sharon Pitt, Vice President for Information Technologies at the University of Delaware and Thomas Siu, Chief Information Security Officer at Case Western Reserve University.
These experts will discuss real-life examples for successfully navigating organizational compliance needs based on their own experiences.