Sutter Health CPMC
Van Ness Campus
Sutter Health has a long history of providing healthcare in California. Their newest next-generation hospital is the California Pacific Medical Center (CPMC) Van Ness Campus located at the corner of Van Ness and Geary in San Francisco. The new hospital is a 12-story, 274 bed acute care hospital built on the site of the former Cathedral Hill Hotel.
The state-of-the-art Van Ness Campus hospital houses inpatient services with an emphasis on maternity care, pediatrics, orthopedics, transplant, emergency and cardiac care, among other primary care services. Every detail of the hospital is geared toward creating an inclusive, healing environment, where high quality, technology, safety, efficiency and personal touches will contribute to patient care.
Features of the hospital include:
- 60 medical/surgical beds and 36 intensive care unit beds
- 64 labor/delivery and 35 neonatal intensive care unit beds
- 25 pediatric beds and 8 pediatric intensive care beds
- 16 operating rooms
- 38 exam and treatment rooms in the 24-hour emergency department
All 274 patient rooms are private and feature exterior city or garden views with an abundance of natural light. Five living roof gardens and a public outdoor terrace are incorporated into the facility.
CPMC Van Ness Campus uses the latest innovative technologies designed to reduce infection and increase staff efficiency. For example:
- Hand hygiene monitoring technology leverages the hospital’s Wi-Fi infrastructure to automatically identify (via badges) when caregivers sanitize their hands
- A smart pneumatic tube system works like an underground freeway interchange to deliver medications, samples and supplies throughout the hospital swiftly, safely and securely. Badge-enabled containers keep contents secure, track information and reduce staff time spent transporting samples, supplies and medications between the laboratory, blood bank and pharmacy.
Information and clinical technologies are designed to increase communication between patients and their care team. Each room will feature an integrated nurse/emergency call system, along with a multi-purpose media system providing patient education, communication and education features. Sutter’s Epic Electronic Medical Record system will be deployed throughout the facility utilizing medical-grade wired and wireless systems to support access to healthcare information. A Real Time Location System (RTLS) will support asset tracking and patient location.
The project utilized a Lean Construction approach with an Integrated Project Delivery Team (IPDT) led by HerreroBOLDT and SmithGroup and co-located in a project office complete with a “Big Room” working together under an Integrated Form of Agreement (IFOA) contract. The team utilized v-Planner, ProjectWise and other project coordination, communication and planning tools to manage design and construction activities and minimize delays and disruption to the project.
- Lean construction technologies encourage coordinated, informative solutions and follow CPMC’s Vision and Guiding Principles, as well as Sutter’s 5 Big Ideas.
- Project technologies support and promote increased communication between patient and caregivers, heightened patient safety and an enhanced healing environment.
- Technologies in the hospital support the innovative work of the healthcare professionals working at the hospital by minimizing ‘low value’ tasks allowing clinicians, nurses and other staff to focus on working with patients and performing other ‘high value’ activities.
- Strategic Technology Planning
- Infrastructure Design
- Systems Design
- Implementation Project Management
- Transition Planning
- Structured Cabling
- Data Networking
- Telephone System
- Real Time Location Systems
- Nurse Call/Code Blue
- Media Distribution
- Audiovisual Systems
- Low Voltage Systems
- Client: Sutter Health / CPMC
- Location: San Francisco, CA
- Project Type: Healthcare
- Facility: Hospital
- Project Size: 740,000 sq ft
- Completion Date: March 2019