Founded in 1972, Crafton Hills College serves the residences of San Bernardino County and around 4,500 students annually. The institution has the distinction of being the top community college in the Inland Empire when it comes to degree/certificate completion rates and course retention/success rates.
The Canyon Hall Science Building features lecture halls, classrooms, laboratories, study areas, offices, an outdoor amphitheater, and a native garden. The chemistry, organic chemistry, anatomy, biology, and microbiology/molecular biology departments reside in the building and utilize the space for research and collaborative learning.
Vantage worked closely with the college and the design team, holding multiple visioning sessions through the programming and planning process to ensure that the space and the technology systems were user-friendly and enabled project-based learning. These systems allow students and faculty to easily work together in their varying fields of study and will provide a state-of-the-art venue for multidisciplinary research.
The building is LEED Gold certified and was featured in Penton’s American School and University Architectural Portfolio for Outstanding Design of a Specialized Facility.
- Technologies help enable expanded research and teaching, as well as opportunities for collaboration.
- Allows more in-depth STEM courses, delivering on the college values of academic excellence and creativity.
- Centralized center for sciences allow for interdisciplinary studies
- Strategic Planning
- Facilitated Workshops and Visioning Sessions
- Technology Program Development
- System Design and Documentation
- RFP Development
- Vendor Selection
- Implementation Oversight
- Infrastructure Planning
- Architectural/Engineering Design Support
- Audiovisual Systems
- Structured Cabling
- Videoconference & Distance Learning
- Digital Media
- Educational Technologies
- Security Systems
- Client: Crafton Hills College
- Architect: Little Diversified Architectural Consulting
- Location: Yucaipa, CA
- Market: Education
- Size: 45,000 SF
- Construction Cost: $18M
- Completion Date: September 2016