University of California Santa Barbara
The University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB) is a public research university overlooking the Pacific Ocean in Santa Barbara, California. UCSB is one of 10 campuses of the University of California system and enrolls 22,000 undergraduate and 3,000 graduate students.
UCSB wanted to reinvent their library’s role as a learning and collaboration hub for students by renovating and expanding their existing building. The Davidson Library Renovation and Expansion project included a three-story building addition on the north side of the library to include faculty and student collaboration spaces and Special Collections, a complete renovation and seismic retrofit of the original two-story building to house the Arts Library, plus additional study and gathering spaces, a newly built Paseo or grand walkway connecting all parts of the Library with the campus, a seismic retrofit of the eight-story tower and required life-safety upgrades.
The 60,000 gross square foot addition and 92,000 square foot renovation provides 20% more study space and includes:
- technology enhanced group study and collaboration spaces
- expanded wireless access
- a faculty collaboration studio
- a new Arts Library with dedicated exhibit space housed within the main Library
- a New Special Collections facility with state-of-the-art technology for preservation
- a 24-hour Information Commons
Vantage was responsible for all audiovisual and information technology in this LEED Gold certified project.
Photos courtesy of Pfeiffer Partners Architects
- Provides a transformative learning environment, fostering community between students and faculty, and the campus and the rest of the world
- Links traditional tools of the past with the future reinforced with 24-hour Information Commons.
- Reinforces the role of the Library and the Learning Commons for next collaborative scholarship.
- Technology Planning
- Technology Programming
- Architectural Design Support
- System Design
- Construction Administration
- Audiovisual Systems
- Data Networking
- Educational Technologies
- Client: University of California Santa Barbara
- Market: Education
- Location: Santa Barbara, CA
- Architects: Pfeiffer Partners Architects
- Project Type: Library and Learning Commons