The Geffen Academy at UCLA is an inclusive college-preparatory school for 6th to 12th grade students who want to develop their intellectual curiosity, leadership capabilities and connection to something larger than themselves. Opening in 2017. this new school is affiliated with the University of California Los Angeles and was made possible by the generosity of businessman and philanthropist David Geffen who committed $100 million to the initiative.
Vantage worked with stakeholders and the design team to create the new 75,000 SF campus which opened in the Fall of 2018 and includes flexible classrooms, maker spaces, specialized program spaces, collaborative team areas, support spaces, and offices. Vantage supported the audiovisual systems in the building, starting with the concept design to prepare a cost estimate and narrative package, through construction administration and implementation oversight.
The partnership with UCLA will offer students access to extraordinary resources and class offerings courses include creative coding, music, water safety, modern physics, design investigations, PE aquatics, and social emotional learning and mindfulness. The curriculum focuses on a holistic approach to learning, considering the student’s interests and well-being while developing critical thinkers. Half of the students for the Academy will be reserved for children of UCLA faculty and staff, and the others will come from the wider Los Angeles community.
Learn more about Geffen Academy at UCLA:
- Flexible classroom design and compatible technology systems allows spaces to host different type of classes
- Modern technology allows teachers to develop different ways to distribute information and create a multi-media curriculum
- Extensible infrastructure allows for future growth of technology life cycles
- System Design and Documentation
- Infrastructure Planning
- Infrastructure Design
- Architectural/Engineering Design Support
- Audiovisual Systems
- Distance Learning
- Educational Technologies
- Client: Geffen Academy
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Project Type: Education
- Architect: Koning Eizenberg
- Size: 75,000 SF