Broadcast, Production and Post-Production Facilities
As part of a multi-year $2.15 Billion renovation of the United Nations Headquarters, Vantage developed a modern communications and media technology center.
We designed a centralized all-digital Broadcast and AV/Media Command and Control facility to fit within an area that had previously been offices and conference rooms in the historic UN Conference Building.
The UN broadcast vision unifies and interconnects 8 TV/Radio Studios, multiple ENG field units, 19 Chambers, and multiple worldwide videoconference and remote feeds with 5 linked production control rooms, 5 master/playout/control facilities, 4 dedicated edit suites, over 500 remote edit clients, and 3 related technical and administrative offices.
This system architecture centralizes over 13 miles of copper and 19 miles of fiber-optic cabling from across the entire UN campus and consolidates all communication with an approximately 1700 x 1500 3G-HDSDI/MADI core routing plant. Collaborations are possible between any locations on campus or across the world in a way that has never existed before the renovation.
The new broadcast facility delivers an unprecedented level of automation and digital recording, including a Digital Media Asset Management system capable of ingesting, cataloging, searching, and automatically retrieving over 2750 Petabytes of digital content including video, audio, and related presentation files/documents, with over 60 hours of official proceedings content added daily.
Over 160 channels of program content can be simultaneously distributed to commercial radio and TV stations, press, building signage, the web, and mobile devices.
- Unified broadcast and central media/command-and control operations in a state-of-the-art facility
- Incorporated a file-based/tapeless workflow
- Developed multi-platform and multi-function content delivery system that spans the entire UN Campus
- Technology Program Development
- System Design and Documentation
- Architectural/Engineering Design Support
- Implementation Oversight
- Transition Planning
- 3G-HDSDI Broadcast Studios and Production Systems
- HD Media Post-production Systems
- Broadcast IP Networking
- Centralized Facility Control Center
- System Automation
- IP TV Distribution
- Network Operations Center
- Press Briefing and Media Distribution
- Media Asset Management Systems
- Automated/Remote Captioning
- Client: United Nations
- Location: New York City, NY
- Project Type: Public Sector
- Facility: Broadcast Technology Center
- Architects: Einhorn Yaffee Prescott and and Perkins + Will