Santa Monica College (SMC) – a two-year community college in Santa Monica, CA – opened in 1929 and has now grown to a thriving campus with 34,000 students and offerings in more than 100 fields of study.
The idea for a new Student Services Building at SMC was conceived in 2009 – and after delays for approvals and redesign, construction commenced in 2016. The new Student Services Building creates a central plaza entry to the SMC Main Campus and consolidates several student services departments into a single building. The 3-story building includes offices, an assembly hall for performances and large meetings, and three levels of underground parking.
Vantage worked with Huitt-Zollars (formerly Morris Architects) to design the technology vision for the building in collaboration with SMC stakeholders.
The assembly hall venue has a large widescreen and includes support for 7.1 surround sound audio and theatrical lighting. A mobile production connection extends to the outside entrance and will allow SMC to continue its history of bringing in high-level speakers to the campus. Cameras and room microphones will be able to capture events for live streaming while technical staff can control all audiovisual activities from a rear control room.
Two entry kiosks were designed to provide information about on-campus events as well as interactive wayfinding for the students and guests to easily locate services within the building.
(Project rendering from Huitt-Zollars and photos from Neubauer Electric)
- Incorporated interactive information and wayfinding kiosks
- Designed the large orientation hall to accommodate live capture and video streaming systems
- Provided comprehensive wireless network throughout the building and parking structure
- Infrastructure Design
- System Design
- Digital Media
- Emergency Notification
- IT Infrastructure
- Wireless Network
- Client: Santa Monica College
- Project: Student Services Building
- Location: Santa Monica, CA
- Architects: Huitt-Zollars (formerly Morris Architects)
- Contractor: Bernards
- Project Type: Education
- Size: 100,000 square feet
- Completion Date: August 2019