Santa Monica College – a two-year community college in Santa Monica, CA – opened in 1929 and has grown to a thriving campus with approximately 34,000 students and offerings in more than 100 fields of study.
To accommodate a heightened demand for STEM education space, Santa Monica College is building a new 110,000-square foot Math and Science Building. The building will create an interdisciplinary STEM community adjacent to the college’s existing science complex. and includes math classrooms, a learning center, science laboratories, and classrooms, and a planetarium.
Vantage worked with CannonDesign to develop an open and engaging classroom and lab building that promotes interaction between disciplines. The large dual-screen classrooms provide easy-viewing of presented materials and, coupled with new wireless presentation technologies, provide flexibility for the instructors to accommodate different teaching pedagogies.
A 50-seat planetarium space provides a large blended screen dome projection system and digital star-field generator as well as additional 360-degree material can be displayed for various STEM program uses. A rooftop terrace and telescope Observation Dome accommodates evening lab events for students to view the night sky and is directly connected to the Planetarium for displaying on the main screen when needed.
The data networking infrastructure supports a robust Wi-Fi system throughout the building for staff and students to remain mobile while still connecting for research and collaborating in teams.
Security within and around the building provides a safe and secure environment for both staff and students including card access into all spaces and well-placed cameras connecting back to the campus safety and police.
(Project renderings from CannonDesign)
- Incorporated a large blended screen dome projection system and digital star field generator for the Planetarium Dome
- Designed a robust infrastructure to provide Wi-Fi coverage throughout the interior and exterior perimeter of the building
- Implemented standardized audiovisual systems to accommodate ease of operation for instructors and flexibility for different teaching methods
- Infrastructure Design
- System Design
- Lab Planning & Coordination
- Construction Administration
- IT Infrastructure
- IT Systems
- Planetarium Planning
- Wireless Network
- Client: Santa Monica College
- Location: Santa Monica, CA
- Project: STEM Classrooms, Labs and Planetarium
- Architects: Yazdani Studio of CannonDesign
- Contractor: LPI, Inc.
- Market: Education
- Size: 110,000 square feet
- Completion Date: 2021