Santa Clara University
Sobrato Campus for Discovery and Innovation
Santa Clara University (SCU) is a Jesuit, Catholic university located 40 miles south of San Francisco in California’s Silicon Valley. SCU is California’s oldest operating higher education institution and enrolls about 9,000 students.
The Sobrato Campus for Discovery and Innovation brings together multiple departments from the School of Engineering and the College of Arts and Science to create a collaborative learning environment that promotes cross-disciplinary exploration to enhance undergraduate student learning and discovery. Special spaces such as Frugal Innovation, Innovation Zone, Fabrication and Shared Innovation Project and Research help provide dedicated areas for the STEM efforts to flourish.
Vantage worked with SCU and ZGF to implement the University’s technology standards across all aspects of the building including the room scheduling system and presentation solutions that the school deploys across the campus to maintain consistency. Vantage also coordinated with ZGF on the nuances specific to a lab building by making sure the design elements and necessary deviations still complied with SCU’s guidelines.
The large divisible lecture hall includes general seating for up to 146 people and includes a rear control room for managing special guest presenters. The space includes camera monitoring and both ceiling and wireless microphones to conduct live stream and recorded sessions of the presenters and audience.
The labs and classrooms are outfitted with the latest presentation technologies including wireless presentation via portable devices when connected to the robust and well-covered wireless data network. Labs are designed to be transparent for the encouragement of cross-discipline collaboration. Multiple open teaming and touch-down spaces are located throughout the building to help facilitate staff and student interaction on multi-discipline research projects.
(Project renderings from ZGF)
- Incorporated the latest presentation technologies in all spaces to encourage cross-discipline coordination
- Implemented SCU’s technology standards in the building including a room scheduling system to help staff and students find dedicated project workspaces
- Developed larger presentation areas for group project collaboration in the Café, Innovation Zone and Divisible Lecture Hall
- Infrastructure Design
- System Design
- BIM Coordination
- Construction Administration
- Digital Media
- IT Infrastructure
- Client: Santa Clara University
- Location: Santa Clara, CA
- Project: Sobrato Campus for Discovery and Innovation
- Architect: ZGF
- Contractor: Devcon Construction
- Market: Education
- Facility: STEM Classrooms, Labs and Collaboration Spaces
- Size: 270,000 square feet
- Completion Date: Spring 2022