Princeton University is a private Ivy League research university located in Princeton, New Jersey. Founded in 1746, Princeton is the fourth-oldest university in the United States and has 5,500 undergraduate and 3,000 graduate students.
Princeton’s Office of Design and Construction brought Vantage in to assess the prestigious Frank E. Taplin Auditorium in Fine Hall for a complete renovation of professional sound, audiovisual and broadcasting systems for the University Music Department.
Originally designed by renowned architect Tod Williams, the facility includes rehearsal spaces, a green room, projection and recording booths, and had not received an update since its debut in 1989. Extreme care was taken to integrate the new systems without disturbing the architectural character and acoustics of the room, and to address the University’s comprehensive departmental needs.
Vantage met with the various Princeton constituencies to determine performance and technical requirements and prepare a budget estimate. As part of our technical services, we reviewed multiple contractor bids, shop drawings, submittals, samples and all technology-related project documentation.
The modernization of the facility allowed for live performance recording, HD digital video projection, wired touch panel and wireless iPad control systems, ADA-compliant assistive listening system, a wireless intercom system, videoconferencing, lecture capture and IP streaming, pre-production video editing, and new LED theatrical lighting system.
Vantage assisted Princeton from the pre-schematic phases through to final completion and dedication in 2013. The venue is heavily utilized for live performances, studio recordings, lectures and classroom activities.
- Reinvigorates an underutilized facility for the Music Department
- Allows for musical performance and lectures to be professionally recorded and streamed.
- Leverages the venue for additional uses such as general presentations, lectures and classroom use
- Technology Planning
- Technology Programming
- Architectural Design Support
- System Design
- Construction Administration
- HD video conferencing
- Lecture capture and streaming
- Live sound reinforcement and studio recording
- Large screen multimedia presentation and speech support
- Client: Princeton University
- Market: Education
- Location: Princeton, NJ
- Architects: James Bradberry Architects
- Project Type: Performing Arts and Theater