National Intrepid Center of Excellence
Outpatient Treatment Clinic
The National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE) facility located at the National Naval Medical Center provides for the detection and treatment of mild-moderate traumatic brain injury. This 72,000-square foot two story building is designed to provide the most advanced services for advanced diagnostics. Services also include initial treatment plans and family education, introduction to therapeutic modalities, referral and reintegration support for military personnel and veterans with traumatic brain injury, post-traumatic stress and/or complex psychological health issues.
The center plays a vital role in the research and development of new treatments and conducts research, tests new protocols and provides comprehensive training and education for patients, providers and families.
NICoE features cutting edge technology including the CAREN (Computer Assisted Rehabilitation Environment), one of only eight such machines in the world, which features a motion platform, embedded treadmill, and virtual environments for evaluating and rehabilitating a patient’s vision, reaction time, gait and multitasking ability. With the help of augmented and virtual reality technologies, patients have a higher chance of successful rehabilitation.
The “Central Park” atrium serves as a peaceful and naturalistic center with plants, simulated sounds and different surfaces for service members to experience while walking.
- Features cutting-edge technologies for evaluating and rehabilitating patients using healing environments and other therapies
- Provides patient rooms for art and music therapy, sleep studies and reaction therapy
- Allows for ongoing tele-health follow-up care across the country and globally
- System Assessment & Planning
- Architectural/Engineering Design Support
- Structured Cabling
- Wireless Access
- Audiovisual Systems
- Digital Media
- Security Systems
- Client: Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund
- Location: Bethesda, MD
- Project Type: Healthcare
- Facility: Outpatient Treatment Clinic
- Architect: SmithGroup