Kern Medical Center (KMC) is a 307,000 SF. 222 bed acute care teaching hospital located in Bakersfield, California. Owned and operated by the Kern County, KMC serves a community of approximately 650,000 and provides care for over 16,000 inpatients annually, while the clinics provide care and services for over 100,000 patients. As an academic teaching hospital, KMC employs 1,573 staff, including 65 full-time faculty physicians, and trains more than 90 residents per year.
Vantage managed the design, engineering, OSHPD coordination and construction administration for the upgrade of the Medical Center’s Telemetry System infrastructure. This work included the upgrade of existing Technology Closets (including power, cooling upgrades and installation on new equipment racks) and the upgrade of legacy cabling between the Technology Closets and each Nurse Station and Patient Room to support the new Telemetry system.
Vantage is also upgrading the cabling and network for a new Electronic Medical Records (EMR) system throughout the hospital, as well as providing the design for a nurse call system. One of the major challenges for this project was the need to have the medical center remain fully operational during this major upgrade. Vantage continued our relationship with KMC by assisting in the nurse call system design and emergency power distribution.
- Designed new nurse call system that improved nurse response time, especially for critical conditions
- Upgraded the Medical Center’s electronic medical records (EMR) information management system to increase productivity
- Maintained full hospital operations during design and implementation
- OSHPD Coordination
- Construction Administration
- Upgrade of existing technology closets (power, cooling upgrades, new equipment racks)
- Upgrade of legacy cabling between technology closets and each nurse station and patient room to support the new telemetry system.
- Nurse call system design
- EMR cabling upgrade
- Client: Kern Medical Center
- Location: Bakersfield, CA
- Project Type: Upgrades of Telemetry System Infrastructure
- Architect: None