Etobicoke General (EGH) is part of the William Osler Health System and is a busy, full-service community hospital serving the communities of Vaughan, Bolton, Caledon, east Mississauga and the northwest corner of Toronto and north Etobicoke in Ontario, Canada. EGH provides a broad range of inpatient and outpatient care services.
To meet the needs of the growing community, EGH is developed a new 250,000 SF, four-story, LEED Silver, Patient Care Wing that to house expanded acute care, sub-specialty clinical, and support services, including ambulatory outpatient surgery, emergency department, labor and delivery, critical care, imaging, and cardiology. Attached directly to the existing EGH General Hospital, the new patient wing provides easy access as a near extension of the existing building and increases services for patients.
The project was built using a Public-Private Partnership (P3) that requires the team to design, build, finance, and operate the facility for 30 years. This includes the provision of the technology systems, and on-going operation, maintenance and life-cycling of the integration of the technology systems with the other building systems.
Vantage provided strategic planning, design, and integration services for the project’s Information, Communications and Automation Technology (ICAT) systems, which include, Data Network, Telephone System, Enterprise Service Bus, Nurse Call, Overhead Paging/Public Address, Audiovisual, and Security (Video Surveillance, Access Control, and Intercom). Vantage worked to ensure that the systems are efficient, effective and integrated while being user-friendly and aiding in patient care.
By needing to keep the former systems in place during construction, Vantage played an integral role in incorporating new technologies with older technologies while ensuring they would seamlessly work together.
(images via Walsh Construction and William Osler Health System)
- Increases effective communication between care team for improved patient care using integrated systems
- Provides high performance Real-Time Location Services (RTLS) for room-level asset, patient and staff location data
- Automates low value tasks through the use of imporved integration technologies to allow staff to focus on interacting with patients and family members
- System Design and Documentation
- Vendor Selection Assistance
- Implementation Oversight
- Design Build Management
- Infrastructure Planning
- Integration Planning
- Architectural / Engineering Design Support
- Healthcare Technologies
- Data Network
- Wireless Access
- System Integration
- Unified Communications System
- Real Time Location System
- Integration Engine / Enterprise Service Bus
- Client: William Osler Health System
- Location: Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada
- Project Type: Healthcare
- Facility: Patient Tower
- Architect: HDR
- Size: 250,000 square feet
- Opened: June 2019