Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) is the nation’s first hospital devoted exclusively to the care of children. As one of the largest and oldest children’s hospitals in the world, CHOP currently has 527 patient beds and treats nearly 1.2 million children each year.
Vantage was a part of the Perkins+Will team that worked with the CHOP Executive Steering Committee and Core Team to provide a comprehensive workplace strategy, design direction and change management guidance for the hospital. The intent of the plan was to develop an enterprise wide solution for space allocation, policies and protocols, process and flow, technology and design.
Through a series of interviews with departmental leaders, job shadowing, site observations, a space utilization study, a workplace survey with more than 2,000 responses and several workshops, the team was able to summarize their findings and recommendations in a comprehensive report.
From a technology standpoint, the Vantage team developed a series of recommendations that included:
- Support for a range of end user devices, from laptops and tablets to smartphones and wearable technologies
- Provision of consistent user interfaces and control systems to promote ease of use and reduce training and management overhead
- Incorporate Digital Building sensors and analytics to measure performance and support future planning
- Leverage Unified Communications and Telemedicine technologies to provide multiple means for staff to communicate with patients, family members and other staff
- Design workspaces and technologies around required workflows, rather than the other way around
- Embrace the rapid evolution of technology with flexible, intuitive and integrated solutions
- Facilitate universal access to information, communications and collaboration systems regardless of physical location
- Provide technology systems that are intuitive, easy to use, fault-tolerant and support the needs of users without requiring significant overhead support
- Improve staff awareness of system capabilities and features through better training and communication
- Strategic Planning
- IT Infrastructure
- IT Systems
- Unified Communications
- Wireless Networking
- Client: Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP)
- Location: Philadelphia, PA
- Project Type: Healthcare
- Facility: Faculty and Clinical Office Study
- Architect: Perkins+Will