California State University Long Beach (CSULB) began its first day of classes in September 1949 and is now the third largest campus in the CSU system with nearly 40,000 students.
The College of Continuing and Professional Education (CCPE) is one of the 8 colleges at CSULB and offers a diverse range of degrees, professional development certificates and international education opportunities for CSULB students and adult community members to further their education after graduation. Until recently, the CCPE held classes in the University Foundation building and at various facilities on and off campus – and the University decided it was important to centralize and consolidate these spaces.
The new $31 million, 34,000 sf, 3-story CCPE Building will provide the college with their own classrooms, student interaction spaces and a multi-purpose conference facility. ZGF Architects designed the sustainable structure and the CCPE building will be the first Zero Net Energy classroom building in the CSU system and has also earned a US Green Building Council LEED Platinum certification.
Vantage worked with ZGF Architects on the infrastructure and system design and provided installation oversight for the technology. We were responsible for all IT and low voltage infrastructure including audiovisual, telecommunications, wireless and emergency notification. Working with Campus Public Safety, we helped expand the electronic surveillance system infrastructure and camera placement around the building as well as added coverage near the building for the emergency blue phone network. We also assisted the campus with strategies and design for the building wayfinding systems and deployed an external kiosk on the entrance to the building.
- Consolidates multiple facilities for the CCPE program into a single structure which will be a new destination spot for the entire CSULB campus
- Becomes first Net-Zero Energy building in the CSU System
- Adds to the classroom capacity and provides a new flexible conference center for larger events and conferences
- Increases campus safety with new security cameras and Blue Emergency Phones
- Infrastructure Design
- Installation Oversight
- System Design
- Emergency Notification
- Electronic Surveillance
- IT Infrastructure
- Low Voltage
- Wireless Network
- Client: California State University Long Beach
- Location: Long Beach, California
- Project Type: Education
- Architect: ZGF Architects
- Size: 34,000 SF