Boston University (BU) is a private research university with nearly 33,000 students located in Boston, Massachusetts.
For this project, BU transformed 3,000 square feet of existing lab space into a Student-Centered Active Learning Environment for Undergraduate Programs (SCALE-UP), with associated lobby and collaborative study support spaces. The classroom accommodates up to 81 students and provides extensive AV/IT infrastructure to support the SCALE-UP teaching philosophy.
In traditional classrooms, student laptops are a source of distraction. In a SCALE-UP classroom, laptops are leveraged into an interactive learning environment. Students can share their work and collaborate on the classroom’s multiple screens, helping them learn more effectively by seamlessly participating and interacting with other students and the instructor.
Vantage worked with the BU physics department staff as well as the AV and IT departments and the architect to determine performance and technical requirements and prepare preliminary drawings and a budget report. As part of our technical services, we reviewed multiple contractor bids, shop drawings, submittals, samples and all technology-related project documentation.
Installed systems included:
- SCALE-UP system with 30 student workstations
- Six 87” SmartBoards
- Instructor laptop integration with touch-screen annotation panel
- Assistive Listening System per ADA requirements for classrooms
- Wireless audience response system
- Videoconferencing & class capture interfacing
- All new low-voltage infrastructure, wiring, connection panels and receptacles
- Transformed an existing traditional science lab into an interactive digital studio space
- Implemented technology that allows students to manipulate digital items from any location to any screen in the classroom
- Empowered instructors to control and direct students to jointly develop simulations, translate passages, edit documents, or contribute with any standard computer application
- AV Programming & Budgeting
- Design & Specification of:
- Audiovisual Display Systems
- AV Control Systems
- Assistive Listening Systems
- Construction Administration
- Classroom Presentation Technologies
- Interactive Classroom Technologies (SCALE-UP hardware and software for 30 workstations)
- Lecture Capture
- Public Address System
- Videoconference System
- Client: Boston University
- Location: Boston, MA
- Market: Education
- Project Type: Active Learning Environment
- Architect: ICON Architecture
- Size: 3,000 square feet