Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania
Robert M. Smith Student Center
Location: Slippery Rock, PA
Client: Slippery Rock University of PA
Architect: DRS Architects and Sasaki
According to campus sources, students and staff say that the new Robert M. Smith Student Center is an “eye-grabber” with many firsts. Completed in 2012, the student center, named in honor of former SRU President Robert Smith, reinforces the University’s commitment to its students.
The building houses Student Development Offices, home to the Office of Multicultural Development, Women’s Center, LGBTQ Resource Room, Student Development, Center for Student Involvement and Leadership, Student Government Association, University Programming Board, and more. Conceived of and funded by the Student Government Association, amenities include
- Rocky’s Food Court
- Quaker Steak & Lube
- Fireplace Lounge
- Commuter Lounge & Pantry
- Movie Theater with Surround Sound and Blu-Ray player technology
- Electronic Technology Center
- Program Development
- System Design and Documentation
- Architectural / Engineering Design Support
- Audio and Video Presentation System
- Classroom Presentation
- Digital Signage
- Public Address System
- Paging System
- Performing Arts
- Open space designed to encourage greater student activity.
- Serves as a Student Living Room where students can sit and stay awhile.
- Center fulfills multiple student needs…sense of “I am taken care of here”.