Scripps Prebys Cardiovascular Institute
Location: La Jolla, CA
Client: Scripps Memorial Hospital
Architect: Hellmuth, Obata and Kassabaum
Scheduled to open in 2015 at an estimated cost of more than $456 million, the 383,000-square-foot building will usher in a new era of medicine and transform heart care for generations to come. By combining the best of innovation and technology, plans for the Prebys Cardiovascular Institute will include:
- 108 medical/surgical beds and 60 intensive care beds in private, single-patient rooms.
- Nearly 100,000 square feet devoted to technology to help heart care physicians provide effective treatment.
- Four state-of-the-art cardiovascular operating rooms
- Hybrid operating suites that will accommodate both open heart surgery and catheter-based procedures, minimizing the need to move patients for separate treatments.
- Clinical research on potential wireless technologies to offer improved patient care.
- Diagnostic and interventional procedures that will be captured digitally and made available for physician follow up at the patient’s bedside, allowing for increased confidentiality.
- Genomic medicine to provide patients individualized care plans as identified by genomic testing and counseling.
- Centralized cardiovascular research labs
- A Center for Graduate Medical Education for physicians
- Facilitated Workshops and Visioning Sessions
- System Design and Documentation
- Implementation Oversight
- Infrastructure Planning
- Architectural/Engineering Design Support
- Structured Cabling
- Wireless Access
- Audio and Video Presentation System
- Public Address System
- Nurse Call and Patient Monitoring
- Distributed Antenna System (DAS)
- Up-to-the-minute technologies to guarantee timely diagnoses
- Patient centered care in a healing environment, including medical grade wireless network
- Environments in rooms are designed and feature advanced medical equipment to deliver a full range of advanced heart care.